Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Start at the beginning.

I believe that I may have come to the limit where I think my "linear gains" are.  I've previously been following Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" program that has carried me to a point where I can no longer see linear improvements in my strength.  This may not be the case but the three weeks of having to deload my squat has made me think otherwise.

The nice people of #weightroom have recommended that I choose another program, and it looks as though the 531 by Jim Wendler .

Unlike Jim, I'm not a competitive powerlifter and I'm am not all that strong to begin with, however for tracking purposes here are my current statistics:

  • Power Clean:   5 Reps x 60kg
    • Deadlift: 5 reps at 130kg
    • Standing Overhead Press: 5 reps at 75kg
    • Squat: 5 reps at 130kg  (Ass to grass)
    • Bench: 5 reps at 90kg
    • Pull ups - 50 at bodyweight
    • 3km in 30 minutes
    My Goals:
    • Power Clean:   5 Reps x 80g
    • Deadlift: 5 reps at 160kg
    • Standing Overhead Press 5 reps at 100kg
    • Squat: 5 reps at 160kg 
    • Bench: 5 reps at 110 kg
    • Pull ups - 5 @ 40kg
    • 10km in 45 minutes
    The more I think about it, the more solid these goals become.  I don't think that any of them are un-achievable,  but having them all at once is the real challenge.  Thanks to fitemil from #weightroom for helping me revise my goals to being more realistic.

    I'm going to start posting some photos and videos for form and comparison.   Throw a comment down if you think my goals are unreasonable or too easy for a 12 month period.  Remember that I'm aiming to be able to do all of these in one sitting, not bulk up and trim down to trick out improvements.

    1 comment:

    1. We've done a few rounds of Wendler 5-3-1 and my maxes for strict press and back squats have both gone up about 15kg. Wendler improves your performance in metcon work too.

      ReplyDelete